Monday, April 6, 2009

Why not Davis for Chairman?


Now with Jeff Frederick finally and happily gone, the Virginia GOP is considering names of possible successors. I have already said I think Tom Davis would make a good choice. Here is some of what I said back on March 9th.


"It seems to me that Davis would bring a lot to the job of Party Chairman, he is a big name, he has a great knowledge of state politics, he has a proven ability to raise money, and could help the party compete in vote rich Northern Virginia.

For two decades Davis has been one of Northern Virginia's most successful politicians. He managed to get elected and re elected in Fairfax County, a place where Republicans have struggled recently.

Also, after a decade of weak(and that may be a generous word)leadership, perhaps competence is what is now needed most. Davis successfully led the National Republican Congressional Committee in 2000-2002, helping to recruit good congressional candidates and raised money for the national GOP effort.

I doubt Tom would want the job, and certainly there would be many conservatives who would oppose him if he did, but I do think he would bring a lot to the job."


Picture by the Washington Post.

2 comments:

Virginia Conservative said...

One question that came up during the last chairman race was the whole conservative vs. moderate/liberal issue. As far as I can tell, no one would confuse Tom Davis with a conservative. Limited government conservatives, like myself, are tired of being marginalized and a move to pick someone like Davis would likely hurt the RPV even more, regardless of other qualifications.

The Virginia Gentleman said...

Hey there,
I too am a conservative, but I do respect Davis as a strategist and Fundraiser.

David