"It was a dark and dreary night and the red light was flashing…on my Blackberry, that is.
It was my boss, Mychele Brickner, and she was writing to inform us (the precinct captains) that she just got fired. She writes:
Dear Precinct Captains,
I am writing to tell you that I have not been reappointed as Springfield District Chairman. I was informed via email from Anthony Bedell, FCRC Chairman, explaining that the change was to “keep it fresh” and “bring in new energy”. I do not know who has been appointed at this time but I am sure you will be informed soon. I was offered the role of Secretary for the Party, but I have declined. To be honest, I think that after working hard at this “job” for many years, I at least deserved a conversation regarding the change!
She went on to graciously thank and encourage us all in our work.
Now, just a few days prior, my trusty Blackberry reported that Mychele had publicly endorsed Keith Fimian for Congress. “Woo-hoo!” I exclaimed (ask my hubby, I actually did shout). What courage--going against the stuffy old Republican establishment, and verbalizing her support for Keith Fimian! Fairfax County Republican Committee (FCRC) Chair Anthony Bedell had already endorsed Pat Herrity and I guess it was expected that all the good little ducklings follow along and either get with Herrity or remain silent. Mychele didn’t get the memo, apparently.
Well, I suppose that’s what you get when you don’t follow the lead of the chairman. You get fired from a VOLUNTEER position. And now one of the most effective, diligent, honest, and hard-working women in Republican politics in Virginia is edged out of her job.
Now, let me connect the dots.
1. In 2008, a strong Democratic year, Tom Davis declines to run again seeing the “handwriting on the wall.” Keith Fimian steps up, runs a strong campaign, and gets a respectable result against the “Acorn goons.”
2. In 2010, with the national winds blowing Republican, Pat Herrity “surprisingly” switches from Fairfax County to national politics, and decides to run for Congress.
3. Anthony Bedell endorses Pat Herrity just minutes after Herrity pops into the race. Herrity gets the approval and back slap of almost every establishment Republican good old boy in the area.
4. Mychele is one of the only Republicans to take a stand and endorse Keith Fimian. Her endorsement letter refers to “political hardball” and “quieting opposition” in relation to Pat Herrity (hmmm…).
5. Within a week, she is dismissed from her job.
Well, I guess if VA-11 is looking for more of the same old politics as usual, VA-11 ought to elect Pat Herrity.
I am a stay-at-home mom. I know poop when I smell it. I deal in poop. And these shenanigans by FCRC and Pat Herrity are stinky! I am a proud precinct captain who was recruited by Mychele Brickner. I am loyal to my conservative principles and to the conservative people who have invited me to participate in politics.
I will be voting for Keith Fimian on June 8 and I hope you will, too."