Thursday, July 4, 2013

Cuccinelli's Happy 4th of July Message

The following is a release from Attorney General ken Cuccinelli:

"Like most people, the Fourth of July is one of my favorite days of the year. I have a lot of special memories about the Fourth, nearly all of them involving my family. Swimming relays and competitions with my brothers at the pool where I grew up – or, even better, breaking the “2 minute mark” in the annual pie eating contest! Walking and playing with my kids in local parades – sometimes even bringing our dog!

As we all hopefully enjoy a reprieve from the daily grind and spend time with our loved ones, there is much to reflect on.

Above all else, we honor the men and women who have served our country in uniform to protect and preserve the freedom our Founding Fathers seized two hundred and thirty seven years ago by signing the Declaration of Independence. While the words and principles of that sacred document are timeless – that’s only because American servicemen and women fought and died to make them so. It’s their sacrifice and selfless courage that makes it even possible to enjoy fireworks with our children or take a day off to visit the beach. It’s important that we honor their service and pray for the memory of those we lost each and every day, not just on days like today.

Today is also a day to reflect on the values and ideals that make America the greatest nation in the world. These foundational principles are increasingly under threat from a federal government that has grown far beyond the scope of what the Founders had in mind. Recent events have confirmed our worst fears about what can happen when the principles of limited government and individual freedom are completely taken for granted – or set aside entirely.

On November 5th, Virginians have an important opportunity to stand up for our first principles. I’ve spent my entire career fighting against a government that is intrusive and holds Virginians back. As Governor, I will be squarely focused on protecting liberty and securing Virginia’s economic future so our children can enjoy the same opportunity my generation was privileged to enjoy. To do that, I’m going to work harder than ever to get the government out of the way so our job creators, workers and families are given the freedom to pursue the American Dream.

To all of you, I wish you a safe and happy Fourth of July, and I’ll see you on the trail!"

No comments: